Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Review: City of Glass (Mortal Instruments #3)

Review: City of Glass (Mortal Instruments #3)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: McElderry Books
Pages: 560
Rating: 5/5
Summary:

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters—never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.
As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City—whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of bestselling series the Mortal Instruments.


I read the second book in this series, City of Ashes, months ago and loved it! I was really excited to pick up this book, but for some reason i never got around to it. Because of that, my Mortal Instruments knowledge was a little fuzzy. Thankfully Cassandra pulled me right back in to the wonderful book.

The beginning was a little slow, but that could be due to the fact that I was trying to catch up on what was happening. Either way, the story got more intense and soon I couldn't put this book down and was taking it everywhere!

The concept of Shadowhunters is a magnificent one! I have never read a book before this series about them and find what they can do quite interesting. There are also downworlders in this book, all of which I have previously read about except for lycanthropes. The variety of creatures adds nicely to the story.

City of Glass mainly focuses on Valentine and his evil plan, as well as the many interesting relationships the book contains. In addition,so much is revealed regarding the story of Jace's, and Clary's childhood that will leave the readers shocked. If you were left hanging after finishing City of Ashes, you will not be disappointed after reading this book.

I didn't notice too much of a change in Clary, but i noticed a major change in Simon and Jace! Simon goes through so much in this book and he becomes a much stronger, less nerdy character altogether. After reading City of Ashes, I didn't quite know where his relationship stood with Clary. But, towards the end of City of Glass, their relationship was clear as well as Jace and Clary's.

I could go on and on about this book but unfortunately, I can't give too much away! Old characters pass, new ones are introduced, old relationships fade, and new ones evolve. If you loved the first two books in the series, you will love this one as well. Cassandra is a brilliant author and I can't wait to read more of her books including City of Fallen Angels which is to be released soon enough!


What do you think of the series?

2 comments:

  1. OMG I love this series! Is my favorite YA series - or at least one of my favorites.;)) Cassie has a wonderful writing style and very interesting and unique concepts. I can't wait to read City of Fallen Angels either... I miss Jace!<3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just picked up the first book in this series with book friends out here on the web. :) We are going to read it in three sections. But I've loved the first section already. And all the amazing things I've heard of the series... well I think it's a given to love it. :) Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment because I love them! Come on you know you want to ;)